Search This Blog

Monday 25 February 2013

An early 16th century counter table

Here is another unusual object from the Museum's collection. It is a wooden table dating from the early 16th century – probably some time during the reign of King Henry VIII. It is called a "counter table" because it would have been used to check weights and measures, in order to avoid short measure in markets and impose dues or taxes. This is the origin of the term 'counter' as in a shop counter!

The table is featured in the series History of Lyme Regis in Museum Objects on the Museum website, produced by the Museum's research team. If you follow the link, you will find a number of in-depth PDF documents you can download, including one by Max Hebditch on the subject of the counter table.

1 comment:

kate said...

As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from Lymes, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
My husband suffered Lymes and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony of so many people who was cured from Lymes , and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who had the herbal cure to Lymes. I never imagined Lymes has a cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.Lymes has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony .